If you try to change your WordPress username, you will see the notification like this – Usernames cannot be changed. But many times we need to change the WordPress admin username for security purposes. In this tutorial, we will show you two different methods to change WordPress admin panel username without any plugin.
You will find many plugins to change the username in WordPress, but we prefer you to follow our manual steps to change WordPress username. It is very easy and you can change the WordPress admin username by any one of the following methods.
Change WordPress Admin Username through WP Admin Panel
This method is the easiest way to change your WordPress admin username. Follow the step-by-step guide to change the username in WordPress by adding a new user and removing old user.
- Login to the WP admin panel and go to the Users page. Click the Add New button to create a new user.
- Create a new user with your desired Username and Administrator role.
- Now, logout from the WP admin panel and log in with the newly created user account. Go to the Users section and click the Delete link under the old username.
- Select Attribute all content to new user and Confirm Deletion.
You are done! Your WordPress admin username successfully changed with the new username.
Change WordPress Admin Username using phpMyAdmin
This method little bit difficult compared to the first method. Don’t worry, the below step-by-step guide makes it easy to change WordPress username through cPanel.
- Log in to the cPanel account where your WordPress site is hosted. Scroll down to the Databases section and click on phpMyAdmin.
- In phpMyAdmin panel, select the database from the left side menu.
- Click on the
wp_userstable from the list of database tables. (prefix
wp_may be different based on your chosen one at the time of WordPress installation)
- Click on the Edit link of the row whose ID is 1.
- Change the
user_loginvalue to the new username and click the Go button to save the admin username.
Now you can log in to WP admin panel with the new username.
The above methods show how to change admin username in WordPress. But using this same process, you can change all the WordPress username.
Are you want to get implementation help, or modify or extend the functionality of this script? Submit paid service request